Teenagers today are more stressed than ever and sharing the practice of yoga can transform them and positively influence the rest of their lives. These are the years that they begin to explore who they are and dive into the deeper dimensions of the yoga practice.
This course will teach you how to guide students in a journey of self-exploration, giving students effective yogic tools to handle stress, anger, anxiety, depression, and other challenges facing teens. You’ll learn how to help students develop compassion and self-confidence, so that ultimately they will be empowered to be agents of peace in the world.
You will learn:
- The benefits of yoga for Teens
- Teen appropriate yoga poses, class themes, relaxation exercises, visualization and meditation techniques, including laughter meditation
- Games and activities that address teen issues such as self-esteem, body image, nutrition, stress, anger, forgiveness, relationships, addiction, and sexual health
- Creative ways to build confidence, trust, teamwork, focus, concentration, and a sense of peace from within
- Working with at-risk populations
- Helping teens overcome self-destructive behaviors and attitudes, replacing negative habits with healthy habits
- Helping teens identify negative thought patterns and replace negative self-talk with positive affirmations
- How to make yoga philosophy accessible to teens; including principles of yoga (Yamas, Niyamas, non-violence and karma yoga)
- The male/female dynamic in the yoga classroom and how to avoid pitfalls
- Breathing techniques to calm, energize, and balance the nervous system
- Yoga practice for insomnia
- Developing a yoga class that is fun, safe, effective and engaging
- Identifying teaching objectives
- Learning how to connect with teens and how to hold the space in the classroom
- Establishing the balance of discipline and order in the classroom with spontaneity and play
- Incorporating props, music, art, and poetry into teen classes
- Teaching with confidence and creativity, patience and acceptance, with an open-heart and an open mind
- Establishing appropriate teacher boundaries
- How to inspire teens to create goals and develop the courage and perseverance to follow their dreams
Learn to engage and inspire this amazing age group!