Don’t we all have special needs?
Discover the many ways that yoga can promote the healthy development of children, ages 4-12. In addition to learning all you need to know about creating a children’s yoga class, you will learn how the practice of yoga addresses difficulties with attention, self-regulation, speech and language, learning, and sensory processing.
This experiential workshop will address how to work with children exhibiting the following challenges in a group setting:
- Those who are easily over-stimulated
- Those who are potentially impulsive and/or distractible
- Those who exhibit poor body-awareness and social skills
- Those who are learning disabled/with an emphasis on speech and language based learning disabilities
- Those who are potentially oppositional and/or disruptive
- Those who present with high or low muscle tone
We are likely to encounter children diagnosed and undiagnosed with the following in most group yoga classes:
- Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD)
- Sensory Processing Dysfunction (SPD)
- Learning Disabled (LD)
- Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)
This program is appropriate for yoga teachers and parents, teachers and therapists with a personal yoga practice who are interested in sharing the gift of yoga with children.
As a result of taking this program, program participants will be able to:
- Structure a class for potentially impulsive children using behavior management and limit-setting techniques
- Modify postures for this population
- Teach breathing exercises, meditation and relaxation to children
- Integrate props, chanting, Thai Yoga Massage and partner yoga
- Employ visuals for children with language-based learning disabilities
- Use yoga to support speech and language, sensory processing, memory, and reading comprehension.
Fee: $595 (Price includes EKY Manual and DVD)
Hours: Friday 6-9pm, Saturday and Sunday 9am-5pm
Registration Policy: Payment in full is required to reserve your space in this course, which is non-refundable. There is also a $40 processing fee to change the date of your course to a future date. If you change the date of the course you planned to attend within 2 weeks or less of the course, there will be a $100 fee. The original payment will be applied to a future course or workshop only.